[XviD-devel] R-D motion search

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Wed May 14 22:33:44 CEST 2003

Heyhey :)

I finished turning "BITS" into "R-D". I works well - the more you
search, the higher PSNR and lower filesize. There is no revolution in
quality, but it's another tool that makes xvid better :)

Now, I have some important questions. This RD is not much slower than
BITS, but performs better. We can:
1. make additional flag which will choose BITS <-> RD. It could be
   useful (?), but it would make the code a real mess. New variables,
   lots of branches all over the place...
2. Make it the only possiblity. "BITS" will mean R-D (kinda
   misleading name, if you want to change flags in API it's ok with me
   ;D )

So... what do we do? I'll try to port it all to dev-api-4 soon
(once I compile it), but my current version is cvs-head (yes Gom,
that's what I meant ;> ).

Waiting your opinion :) ('cause if you won't say anything, I'll make RD
the only possiblity and commit it to cvs head).

Regards,
Radek

PS. Do you remember problems after replacing HALFPELREFINE16 with
HALFPELREFINE16_BITS? Even with R-D, you still should do both for max
psnr :D