[XviD-devel] video color eq controls

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Fri May 16 11:51:53 CEST 2003

Hi,

Quoting Christoph Lampert <chl at math.uni-bonn.de>:

> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Peter Cech wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > You are right, bright/contrast/sat should not be part of codec and
> > should be handled by another software layer. On the other hand, many
> > windows players are leving such things on codecs (not mentioning that
> > buggy drivers can spoil the fun although you have a good player).
> >
> > IMHO, it belongs to vfw (off by default, but user can activate it when
> > needed).
>
> Yes, it's rather a VfW feature, but on the other hand, e.g. Linux Users
> have no interface of this kind. Coulnd't it be a plugin for pre- and
> postprocessing?

I think that postprocessing should for sure be part of core, and color
controls could be as well. For efficient postprocessing you need a lot of
information about a coded frame which are present in the decoder (dct
coefficients, mb quants, skipped MBs, MB cbp etc...) but are not available
in an external viewing/playback application. Of course one could copy this
information but that's inefficient...

I agree that color controls are not an integral part of the encoder /
decoder. But colorspace transformations aren't either and we are offering
this service anyways. So I think color controls could become part of core
as well, also because it would enable Linux users to have access to this
feature.

bye,