[XviD-devel] Compiler errors - mbcoding.c

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Wed May 21 20:27:15 CEST 2003

Arvind Raman (arvind_raman at yahoo.com) wrote:
> I am trying to compiler the xvid source ver 0.9.1 in
> Linux.
> #1. I went to the build/generic/ directory.
> #2. Executed the ./configure script
> #3. And then make
>
> I got the following error while comipling the file
> mbcoding.c
> Unable to find a register to spill in class 'AREG' at
> line 769
>
> I couldn't see anything apparently wrong with the
> code. Does anyone have any idea as to what the error
> could mean.

It is commonly called an ICE. This acronym means Internal Compiler
Error. As the acronym suggests it is a problem in your compiler,
probably too much optimisations turned on. Defaults should work on gcc
2.95.3, gcc 3.2.x, gcc 3.3.

Even if i'm not against gcc  2.96 (shiped with some mandrake and red hat
systems), this  version has lot of  errors like the one  you mention, if
you are using a gcc 2.96, consider upgrading to a gcc 3.[23] version.

If this is not your case, then disable some optimizations manually in
the  created platform.inc  or  specyfying them  directly at  ./configure
time.

$ CFLAGS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer ....." ./configure
          ^^^^^^^ put here what you want/desire, makes gcc compiles the
	  sources well

--
Edouard Gomez-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...