[XviD-devel] ME file layout

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Thu May 22 22:42:25 CEST 2003

Hi,

gruel wrote:
> there's so much C code in the "header" files (most likely so it can be
> made static and inlined?). Is that really needed?

Yes that's right, and I don't like it either.
However, I talked to Pete about it and he said it wasn't a problem...

Yes, I wanted to keep the code static (not necessary inlined - many
functions are only called by pointers so they can't be inlined), so
that the unnecessary symbols are not exported.
Do you think that was a bad idea?

> There's not much difference between one source file of 120K and one of 50K
> which #includes 5 header files with the the remaining 70K.

>From compiler's point of view - true. However,I just coded R-D mode
decision for b-frames, and it was a _huge_ difference for me. So I'd
really like to split it, this way or another. If you think that I
should create real c-files (as separate objects) and exporting extra
symbols is not a big deal, I'll probably be able to do that.

Radek

PS: gruel - sorry for sending it two times... the xvid-devel 'version'
came 30 mintes later and I had thought the whole mail was private ;)
BTW I wonder why the return-path of my xvid-devel mails is double all
of the sudden