[XviD-devel] How fast is XVID on ARM processors?

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Thu Nov 13 15:55:32 CET 2003

Ricardo Ferreira (ricardo-c-ferreira at ptinovacao.pt) wrote:
> I need to run XVID in a PocketPC (Pocket Loox 600: IPXA250 400MHz ARM)
> so I ported it to ARM  processors. However, I can only get circa 15fps
> for 240x180 RGB565, 200kbit/s. The decoding (dec_main) takes:
>
> - Debug build: 89ms
> - Release build: 40ms
>
> this is too much!...

Agreed. Our decoder is not the  faster one but... have you optimized the
dsp functions ?

They are really important if you want decent performance, then you might
want to optimize these functions  for ARM and add the necessary function
binding in xvid.c::xvid_init() :
     - transfers_?????
     - interpolation_?????
     - idct
     - dequant_????

If you don't optimize these functions  then it's quite normal the C only
version doesn't  run very  fast.

> Did anyone  tried XVID on  ARM?  Does anyone  have an idea  about XVID
> performance on ARM?

No, devs use ia32 only. I do some platform checking before release for
the C part but that's all.

--
Edouard Gomez