[XviD-devel] [RFC] resync markers in encoder

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Fri Nov 21 09:18:23 CET 2003

Quoting Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>:

> Michael Militzer (michael at xvid.org) wrote:
> > Hm, after all: what do we need resync marker encoding support for?
>
> XviD 1.0  is supposed to be  ASP. So correct  me if i'm wrong  but Error
> resilience is part of ASP features. So the real question is:

ok, but interlacing, data partitioning and reversible vlc are also part
of ASP features.

> "Why not supporting it  on encoder side as we would like  xvid 1.0 to be
> ASP ?"

"So why not supporting interlacing, data partitioning and reversible vlc
on the decoder side first as we like xvid 1.0 to be ASP?" ;-)

What I just want to point out is that our decoder isn't even fully ASP
compliant since we don't support the very fancy ASP features (like re-
versible vlc). That our encoder doesn't support all features is no problem,
the created streams are ASP compliant anyway. However in order to claim
full ASP compliance, the decoder should be compliant. So I think that if
we want to spend time on improving ASP compliance, we should rather
spend this time on improving the decoder first...

bye,