[XviD-devel] TODO

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Sun Nov 30 17:10:16 CET 2003

Christoph Lampert (chl at math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:
> So, I guess, I'll have to start on another point TODO:
>
> #  docbook writing (every developer should contribute)
> #   - New API has to be documented.

Yes  i  already have  a  plan  for  it, and  a  small  part of  the  XML
skeletons. What i propose is that every one that contribute writes plain
text and i integrate the contributions into the docbook-xml files.

When the docs would be filled enough, i'll commit them.

It's a developper doc, not a user doc about a frontend.

Plan:
- Title
- Doc Information (authors, copyright)
- General informations
  - What is XviD
  - Usage License
  - Building it
  - Installing it for developing
    (both sections can be copied from the INSTALL text file)
  - lib design
      (i have a small schema of the XviD internal design
       see: http://ed.gomez.free.fr/vrac/mpeg4-xvid.pdf
  - Known limitations caused by the design
    + XviD cannot be initialized by threads in order to use
        different set of instructions (eg: only C and optimized code).
    + Put here everything we know
- Library initialization
  describe xvid_global  for all allowed  actions (info, init,  and color
  space conversion facilities). Example codes exist in the mencoder
  frontend.
- The decoder
  - Supported features
  - Initialization
  - Decompressing a sequence
    + focusing on the returned  structures, the decoding loop is not the
      important point
  - terminate
- The Encoder
  - Supported Features
  - Initialization
  - encompressing a sequence
    + focusing on the returned  structures, the decoding loop is not the
      important point
  - terminating
    (don't forget to flush bframes, see xvid_encraw)

Annexes:
 - the complete doc license
 - supported colorspace definitions  (common to xvid_global, decoder and
   encoder)
 - something else ?

I propose to use "whatever license"  but the GFDL, because it causes lot
of trouble with its invariant sections.

--
Edouard Gomez