[XviD-devel] DirectShow filter crashes with DX PlayWnd sample?

Giovanni Bajo giovannibajo at libero.it
Sun Oct 12 23:02:53 CEST 2003

Hello,

I'm trying to play a XVID file through the PlayWnd DirectShow samples that comes
with DirectX 8.1. I'm using the following:

- DirectX 8.1
- XVID stable Root 24.02.03 (downloaded binaries from usual sites)
- the XVID movie has been authored by myself using this very codec.
- A P4 computer (in case it matters).

Now, if I play the movie with Windows Media Player, or Media Player Classic,
everything works fine. Instead, if I use the vanilla PlayWnd DirectShow sample,
I get a segfault deep inside xvid.dll (called from xvid.ax). I also tried a more
recent binary (17.07.2003) but with no luck.

I tried to recompile everything in debug version to trace the crash by myself,
but I got stuck in a little problem:

- The stable distribution does not come with a DirectShow filter source. I tried
to import the code from a newest snapshot, but it's missing things, so it won't
compile.
- The recent CVS snapshot does infact compile and create a debug xvid.ax, but I
can't find how to create xvid.dll. I manually modified the project
libxvidcore.lib to make it create a dll, but it then will crash on several
asserts which look unrelated to me (probably a bug on my side).

I also checked with google, but nothing showed up. I'm mailing here because I
assume someone has a working debug environment and can probably check in a
second what's going on.

I appreciate any kind of comments about this problem.

Thanks in advance
Giovanni Bajo