[XviD-devel] [CVS commit] devapi4 -- Doc updates/removal

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Wed Oct 22 00:00:26 CEST 2003

Hello Andrew,

Andrew Voznytsa (eraser at polynet.lviv.ua) wrote:
> I'm looking on those nice CVS commit reports and it's very interesting
> for  me how  they are  generated? (if  they are  generated)  Could you
> please tell me which tool do you use and where can I get it?

When we  forked xvid dev-api-4,  i wanted not  to break CVS each  time i
commited  a big  change (but  incomplete). And  as you  might  know, CVS
doesn't  allow local  branching, branches  are  all hosted  on the  main
repository.

I  could have  used  local working  trees,  but i  would  have lost  the
features  of revision  control tools.   So  i began  looking for  better
Revision Control Tools,  and came to Arch. Unlike  CVS, arch is patchset
oriented (atomic  commits), understands  dirs and moves,  is distributed
oriented (everyone  is free  to fork his  local branch w/o  having write
permissions   on   the   main    repository),   has   lot   of   merging
helper cmds... {put here a long list of improvements over CVS}...

One of its  features is to generate ChangeLogs with  the format you like
so much :-)

So  i'm sorry  but this  is not  a CVS  tool (like  cvs2log.pl),  it's a
totally different Revision Tool that i  use to maintain my own branch of
xvid.  From time  to  time,  I merge  my  changes to  CVS,  and use  the
changelog generator to write an email to xvid-devel.

To learm more about arch see the following links:

GNU arch site: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/
Old site: http://regexps.srparish.net/www/

Though it may be outdated, as arch/tla is under heavy revamping...
Online Tutorial: http://regexps.srparish.net/tutorial-tla/arch.html

ATM, arch/tla does not work well on windows platforms due to windows
limitations (mainly case insensitivity and short paths limitations)

--
Edouard Gomez