[XviD-devel] [BUG?] cbp_calc_mmx

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Sun Oct 26 13:43:55 CET 2003

Michael Militzer (michael at xvid.org) wrote:
> I'd say simply  use Skal's version. If it's  currently not initialized
> in xvid.c, then  this is a mistake because it should  get used. Also I
> expect Skal's version to not be slower than the ffmpeg code and Skal's
> fdct is rather accurate (and clean also).

Yeah, and i'd even say that ffmpeg and skal's versions are very
similar, a good exemple of code developed independently that all in
all, is quite the same.

> PS: I'm  sure that  whichever fdct version  gets used after  all, this
> will have no effect on total xvid encoding speed...

When using  no VHQ, the DCT is  very small part of  total encoding time,
but when  playing with VHQ>=2, last  time i profiled xvid,  the fdct was
taking more importance in the flat profile.

I'll probably  remove the old  dct code, and  keep only the skal  or the
ffmpeg version depending which one is faster.

--
Edouard Gomez