[XviD-devel] Qpel Problem Samples

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Fri Sep 5 11:51:04 CEST 2003

Hi,

Quoting Christoph Lampert <chl at math.uni-bonn.de>:

> thanks for the samples and detailed description. We'll check... So far we
> know that _if_ Qpel is helpful, it already better for any short parts
> of the video, and usually not by higher PSNR, but by lower filesize.
>
> So if you want to decide on QPel/noQPel you can encode a
> short piece (10s) from the middle with fixed quant and then decide on
> QPel/noQpel by smaller filesize.

I don't agree. You can't decide from just a short test sequence if qpel
would be helpful or not for the overall clip. With 'Saving Private Ryan'
for example, there are some scenes were qpel helps greatly and others
where it does not help at all. I haven't checked yet if qpel is a overall
gain or not for this movie...

> Maybe somebody could add such a feature the GUI? An "Auto" setting
> for QPel?  Because MPEG-4 doesn't permit to just switch QPel on or off
> within a clip.

yes, unfortunately qpel can't be adaptively switched on or off within a
clip. I checked the sample clips that had been posted over at doom9
(thanks for that btw), and qpel indeed performs rather bad on these. How-
ever it seems that b-frames don't seem to work great either on these
clips (but I have to recheck). What should be also figured out is whether
the qpel encoded clips actually look worse _visually_ than the halfpel
encoded clips. It seems that qpel introduces or amplifies noise which
leads to a more 'crisp' image (similar to MPEG vs. h.263 quantization).
This additional noise will lower PSNR but it doesn't have to lower the
visual 'watching experience'...

bye,
Michael

PS: I uploaded some new XVID_ME options yesterday that make qpel quite a
bit faster. You might want to check these out. If we can't increase qpel
quality, we can at least try to reduce its computational overhead ;-)