[XviD-devel] fast qpel refinement

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Sat Apr 3 14:41:43 CEST 2004

Hi,

Quoting Radek Czyz <syskin at ihug.com.au>:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I think I finally rewrote fast qpel refinement, first implemented by
> Michael. It turns out to be a very very nice idea.
>
> I don't think I've ever seen any measurments so here they are. Defaults,
> qpel, no bframes, second pass, high-motion scene.

Did I never post any benchmarks? ;-) At least I remember I sent some
infos to Koepi regarding 'Turbo mode' (which also uses fast qpel). I've
attached a small text file with some numbers how 'Turbo mode' compares to
regular high-quality settings...

> Full refinement: 	2:25 (21.90fps), psnr 42.37 dB
> Fast refinement (new):	2:11 (24.24fps), psnr 42.29 dB
>
> For reference:
> Fast refinement (1.0 tree):  2:14 (23.70fps), psnr 42.30 dB
> Halfpel:		1:56 (27.38fps)
>
> I still don't understand why new code gives different psnr than the old
> one, but I'm not going to worry about it too much :P
> New code is faster because it combines halfpel and qpel refinement,
> avoiding many halfpixel checks.

Fine. Of course it was intended from the very beginning that the additional
halfpel checks to find the 'second-best' match should be avoided, but I
was too lazy to rewrite the whole refinement - so good that you did this
now :)

> I'll clean the rest of the code (I currently have both old and new code
> in one file) and commit to HEAD.

BTW: Any results already from your tries to implement a fast R-D optimized
refinement?

Michael