[XviD-devel] Am I crazy?

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Mon Apr 19 06:49:36 CEST 2004

Hi everyone :)

I recently saw how PPC assembler code is done - using GCC intrinsics. An
idea crossed my mind... can we do the same for x86 assembly? I'm not
talking about intrinsics, but about usibg gcc instead of nasm.

Bad things:
  - win32 people will have to download - and possibly setup - gcc, which
is so much bigger and uglier than beautiful nasm
  - I'll have to fix all project files ;)

Good things:
  - we can use C #defines, data structures.. - well all #includes
  - we can create debug info for such files, which is soooo useful for
profiling
  - we can use intrinsics, mix it with inline assembly and C
  - ICL can compile GCC's intrinsics/assembler, and it can do cross-file
optimization, which effectively will INLINE assembler functions into C

Am I talkig crazy? Or maybe there is more bad things than I am seeing
right now?

:)
Regards,
Radek