[XviD-devel] Am I crazy?

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Apr 19 12:36:11 CEST 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Radek Czyz wrote:
> > The other thing I need point out is last time I checked GCC wasn't as good
> > as visual studio as a compiler.  There may be a performance drop by moving
> > to it.
>
> Yeah, this is why I was thinking that we could - for starters - just
> move assembler files from nasm to gcc's inline assembler, and leave it
> there. There shouldn't be any impact (especially negative) if we do just
> that.

We should avoid having duplicate ASM routines in different dialects.
If there was a macro/perlscript/something to automatically convert NASM to
gcc inline, then fine with me. But if you just convert by hand, very soon
the gcc version (or the non-gcc) will be lagging behind.
First, you could of course convert a few routines and check if there is
any speedup at all... we tried ASM inlining before, and IIRC, the idea was
better than the overall effect.