[XviD-devel] Am I crazy?

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Mon Apr 19 14:07:40 CEST 2004

Hey,

Let me stress that I am fully aware of the problems with gcc. I also
like nasm, and I've written that.

Michael Militzer wrote:

> I also don't find the main pros of gcc, that have been mentioned, really
> striking: intrinsics and inline assembly (and because of this potentially
> faster code). Well, once you'll have asm code inlined with intrinsics
> all over your c code, it's getting really painful to work with it. I
> believe the maintainance of asm code in nasm style (seperate files, short
> instructions, powerful macros) is much more simple.

I think you completely missed my point - the main pros of gcc code is
the ablity to produce debug info (we were just talking about code
profiling, it's very difficult to do without debug info) and the ability
to use C data structures. I never even mentioned instruction reordering
because I'm not even convinced if it's a good thing.

I also never wanted to include inline assembler/intrinsics in our C
sources, because they should remain ANSI C. Inlining could only be done
by ICL, it's doing that already, but only for .c files of course.

I now understand that it will never happen - but please, if you are
explaining why, make some reference to what I've written.

Regards,
Radek