[XviD-devel] Am I crazy?

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Mon Apr 19 15:21:35 CEST 2004

Christoph Lampert (chl at math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:
> Okay, so how to get debug info without forcing Windows or Linux users to
> switch compiler? We can forget MS to understand AT&T syntax, so
> two ideas: make NASM output compatible debug info
> (unlikely, and structures wouldn't be there at all).

Use yasm instead of nasm, it supports stabs debug output (suitable with
gdb based debuggers). That's the main reason why i spent some time on
yasm a few months ago. You can even do some sort of yasm wrapper to:
 - preprocess the asm file (which will expand macros, so step by step
 debugging can be done on opcode level)
 - remove all line statements from the preprocessed file to prevent the
 debugger from skipping all expanded macro blocks (because it follows
 what the line statements)
 - assemble the resulting preprocessed/cleaned file again.

This is easy to do on GNU/Linux systems, dunno about win32. The
configure system allows nasm redefinition.

--
Edouard Gomez