[XviD-devel] Idea for encoding iframes (or images for that matter)

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Aug 8 18:40:59 CEST 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Ricardo Garcia wrote:
> >Adding the H.264 4x4 transform to XVID or FLT, a modified DCT
> described
> >in this paper <http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/dequeiroz00fast.html> could
> >be interresting. (The FLT is a modified DCT transform, with almost
> >wavelet like behavior, but without the performance hit)
>
> >						Jan
>
> Hey, that sounds good. And looks good! (I read the article, no more
> artifacts (yay!))

I don't want to spoil you enthusiasm, but a Citeseer paper from 2000 that
has received only 2 weak citations since then isn't a very promising
source for a revolutionary new video codec.

> Altho yes, I agree with Christoph on this matter.
>
> The result should _NOT_ be called XDiv.

And also not XVID, which is the correct name of this codec.

> So I suggest making an experimental branch, which we might call...
> er.... ermm.... :( I don't know, "project junio"? (reference to proj.
> mayo ^^;; ) Anyway. I think that we should start a mailing list,
> webpage dunno, for XVid developers wanting to improve the algorithm. A
> warning: We should make sure the algorithms we use are NOT under patent
> research. I've seen MANY of those in citeseer.

Then you should forget XviD. MPEG-4 is covered by tons of patents, and you
can't get rid of them by stripping it down, it's just too much. Others
have tried to start a MPEG-like but patent/royalty-free codec, e.g. the
whole AVC/H.26L team, but in the end it was again patents everywhere.

Maybe you should think of visit the theora pages instead of plan a fork on
XviD after only 2 days on the list. Theora (theora.org) is not bound to a
standard, they develop their own bitstream format, and even though the
codec is not 100% patent free, all patents have been declare free to use
for the public by the patent holding company On2.

You might also have a look at dirac (direc.sf.net), which is a wavelet
based codec by some BBC team.