[XviD-devel] How to get informations on a XVid bug ?

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Tue Aug 10 11:36:31 CEST 2004

Selon Harghh <harghh at free.fr>:
> I wanted to know if there is a way to get more information when an error
> occurs (stack trace, etc.) or to use the WinXP error box infos.

Run your program in a debugger, and wait for the crash. It should give you more
information. If you compile xvid on your own, you can even include debug
information so that you'll be able to navigate the sources once it crashed to
locate the guilty lines of code.

However, not that i depreciate your report, but xvidcore is often passing some
memory tests using valgrind (a gnu/linux tool) to see if xvidcore frees all
allocated memory, doesn't use uinitialized memory and much more... At this
moment, there are strictly 0 errors/0 warnings detected, and trust me, valgrind
is good at finding all problems... so i doubt the segfault is really caused by
xvidcore. Maybe the calling process does something wrong, corrupts the call
stack and windows thinks it's located in xvidcore (that happens quiet often).

--
Edouard Gomez