[XviD-devel] [RFC] AMD64 support

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Sun Dec 12 12:12:56 CET 2004

Hi,
Although I'm not a developer, merely a doc maintainer, I'd like to
express myself about this issue...

Le dimanche 12 décembre 2004 à 11:30 +0100, Edouard Gomez a écrit :

> I started merging the work from Andre Werthmann, and i'm wondering
> if i must include all simd code or just the oneswhich performs best.

> I mean we know amd64 supports mmx, mmxext, sse, sse2. At the moment
> i ported the cpuid function just in case we include 3dnow functions.
> In that case when Intel will ship their emt64 CPUs, we'll have to
> have an alternative to 3dnow functions...

AFAIK, XviD already features different SIMD asm for both Athlon and
P-IV, so it looks to me that being able to squeeze every CPU cycle using
"proprietary" SIMD like 3D-Now! is nothing new, isn't it?

> So the question is:
>  - Do i dumbly include all asm code port or,
>  - Do i include only meaningfull functions (mostly xmm functions which
>    perform far better than sse2, and are more accurate than their mmx
>    cousins for MPEG quant)

For that, I couldn't say much but offer my help to test this port as I
just set-up an AMD-64 box this week-end.

Regards,
Guillaume