[XviD-devel] [RFC] AMD64 support

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Sun Dec 12 23:08:13 CET 2004

Andrew Dunstan (a_dunstan at hotmail.com) wrote:
> >So the question is:
> > - Do i dumbly include all asm code port or,
> > - Do i include only meaningfull functions (mostly xmm functions which
> >   perform far better than sse2, and are more accurate than their mmx
> >   cousins for MPEG quant)
>
> Not sure if you consider this relevant, but the x86-64 version of windows
> only supports SSE and SSE2 instructions using the XMM registers so all
> functions need to be 128-bit. Also from what I can gather windows uses
> different registers to pass function parameters from those used in linux.

Well, well, well...

Firstly i'd say: why on earth would windows forbid the usage of 64 bit instructions
               on a 64bit processor ? ;-)

Secondly i'd add: That would be very bad for windows users, because the port i merge
                  is then only unix friendly.

Thirdly i'd conclude by: Contributions will be welcomed if that's true.

Fourthly i'll post script by: I didn't check if that's true at all, but i doubt MS would
                              do such a stupid thing. As for the register convention, well
                              this could be true.

--
Edouard Gomez