[XviD-devel] inter/intra screener

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Sat Dec 18 06:50:00 CET 2004

Hi

Andrew Voznytsa wrote:

> you may try to use MB boundary error. See
> ftp://jvttest:tester@standards.polycom.com/2003_12_Waikoloa/JVT-J033r1.doc,
> section 3,*/ "Selective intra mode decision".
> IMO this should work for MPEG-4 ASP too.
> /*
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew Voznytsa

Hehe yes, they're doing exactly the same thing I'm doing and for exactly
the same reason. The only problem is that in mpeg-4 (a)sp, intra is
almost not predicted from other macroblocks - so the boundary error has
no effect on intra's rate.

They do however confirm that I should try to estimate the rate of intra
and compare it to the (known) rate of inter. Right, I knew that ;p and
I'll try it soon-ish.

As for now, I can help with early-stops - the minimum number of bits
taken bu INTRA is 8 (minimum cbp 2, minimum mode 5, and one ac/dc
prediction bit) and I can add this eight to our known "so far" as soon
as possible.

Radek