[XviD-devel] RE: possible vfw YV12 stride bug

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Feb 1 12:28:59 CET 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Radek Czyz wrote:
> Well... they did. This is because the old definitions were equal to the
> colorspace definitions used in VfW and directshow.
>
> Do I understand correctly that I have to map "YV12" fourCC to
> XVID_CSP_I420 colourspace and "I420" to XVID_CSP_YV12 now?
>
> Currently both VfW and dshow have them the "normal" way and this creates
> wrong encodes, with planes swapped. Same on decoding.

_If_ I get this right, "I420" have an 'I' for ITU and 420 for 4:2:0.
The ITU broadcasting standard seems not to specify 4:2:0, but for
4:2:2 it's YCbCr.

www.fourcc.org says the same:   I420 is YUV where U=Cb and V=Cr

Microsoft claims FourCC I420 is Intel Indeo 4 codec.

Microsoft MSDN then gives YV12 as YCrCb and I420 as swapped, so YCbCr.

As long as I get a new good argument, I'll revert my changes. Sorry!

chl