[XviD-devel] bframe bug report

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Tue Jan 6 23:24:12 CET 2004

elcabesa (elcabesa at inwind.it) wrote:
> hi
> i just encoded a video with dvd::rip   that use transcode
>
> this is my xvid configuration
> xvid-CVS
> quant type=h263
> motion=6 (ultra high)
> vhq disabled
> bfraame=4
> b-quant_ratio=150
> bquant_offset=100
> closed gop
> packed
>
> i get this "warning" decoding with ffmpeg
>
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8723c80]vop not coded
>
> i don't know if it's a real "warning", mplayer don't crash and make me see the
> video, that is show in the right way
>
> disabling pached option make the error go away
>
> decoding with xvid make no problem at all.
>
> it doesn't happen to every frame but more then 70% of frame suffer this
> problem
> if you need the encoded video i could try to sent it  to you with email

These messages are right and are not a bug

This is all  the fault of packed bitstreams have  been designed by divx,
you pack  two frames together  and then write  a not coded VOP  (the one
ffmpeg reports)

We should really  think a bit more about how we  do packed bitstreams, i
don't like  the windows VFW way...  under GNU/Linux we are  not bound by
API limitations so why not making core output only real frames ?

--
Edouard Gomez