[XviD-devel] mailing list troubles

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Fri Jan 23 20:39:02 CET 2004

Dear list members,

as some of you already noticed, we had some problems with the XviD mailing
lists over the past couple of days. Many members were disconnected from the
mailing lists. Meanwhile we fixed these problems and none of the messages
sent to the lists _should_ have been lost, so you might receive pretty much
at once right now. But better visit the list archives on xvid.org also in
order to be sure to not have missed any of the messages. The archives are
available at:

http://list.xvid.org/pipermail/xvid-users/
http://list.xvid.org/pipermail/xvid-devel/

Also, while the lists were down, a couple of messages including the new
worm W32.Bagle have been sent to the xvid-devel list. These mails had the
faked sender address 'skal at planet-d.net' and the subject 'Hi'. Do not open
the attachement and immediately delete these mails. In case you did already
open the attachement, visit the Symantec website and get a removal tool
from there:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.beagle.a@mm.html

The filtering rules of our mailing lists have been updated in the meantime
and the worm is now blocked.

Moreover we'd like to apologize for a huge number of nonsense messages on
the xvid-users list. Oviously one of our members on xvid-users had a auto-
reply bot running that was sending an automatic reply to xvid-users which of
course was delivered back again then, replied to again, delivered back and
so on. So two mail bots communicating with each other results in an effective
endless circuit and the lists really are not prepared to block out-of-office
messages written in spanish ;-) Unfortuantely it took me a couple of minutes
to react on this situation...

On behalf of the whole team I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience and
all potential troubles caused. Let's just hope this will have been the only
technical problem in 2004.

Best regards,
Michael

---