[XviD-devel] Luma vs Chroma Quant

Hans K. Rosbach hk at circlestorm.org
Sun Jan 25 16:39:46 CET 2004

This is the original mail. Thanks to Michael for fixing my
problem with sending mails to the list. (I send from a
different address than I am subscribed with..  doh)

---

During a discussion with some of my friends, one of them
came up with an interesting question..

Is it possible to encode chroma/luma components of the
picture with different quant values? Thus one would for
example be able to down-prioritize the chroma in favor of
the luma..

I cannot really guess what the result would be like, but I'm
quite sure the ability to adjust this would be one of the many
tweakers wet dreams. (Not that it necessarily makes anything
better tho..)

Do we encode all components of each block with the same
quant today? If so, is it MPEG4 compliant to encode them
with different quants?
If yes to both above, would it maybe be more effective to
consider this also in two-pass where we can test its relative
compressibility in advance?

-=Dead2=-