[XviD-devel] Xvid v's H.264/AVC

iibot iibot at gmx.at
Tue Jul 6 23:47:13 CEST 2004

Hans K. Rosbach wrote:
> For cartoons I tested out some special cartoon filters for virtualdub
> that actally made a nice improvement in quality. Not closer to source,
> but more pleasing image. It essentially found black lines and made them
> stronger and found big areas of one color and smoothed out any artifacts
> in them. I used several such filters, dont remember names right now.
Do you have some non-filtered example output which is hard to filter?

As I wrote in another thread I currently work on a post processing
filter. I'd like to test it on anime/cartoons as well.

Here is a first example:

original:
http://www.ra.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~bergmats/tromp_2.jpg

filtered:
http://www.ra.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~bergmats/tromp_2_post1_full.png
http://www.ra.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~bergmats/tromp_2_post1_fast8.png

I know there are still a few "bugs". I changes contrast and is still
damn slow.

> Yes, PSNR is a lousy method of measuring visual quality.
True. This filter makes PSNR worse. That's a good sign!

bis besser,
Tobias