[XviD-devel] Question about bvop decoding

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Wed Jul 21 22:41:02 CEST 2004

skal (skal at planet-d.net) wrote:
> 	a) fwd predict into buf1
> 	b) bwd predict into buf2
> 	c) average buf1 and buf2 and send to pic.
>
> 	Now it's pretty obvious you're loosing
> 	time in Memory I/O and 16/8bits conversion
> 	during steps b) and c). These two could be
> 	merged into a single 'averaging' bwd predicting
> 	step.
>
> 	Now, if you dig very hard into this mailing list's
> 	archive, you may find that i once, a long time
> 	ago, sent ASM code that does combined b)+c) steps...:)

I've been looking for Skal in all our archives (painfull as we
don't have search engine indexing the ML) and i found no
optimization for this:

from july 2002 to July 2004, i've found plenty of ideas, and
interesting posts but no bf interpolate code/not optimizations
idea. Could you be kind enough to post the link or, much
better, post the code again ?

Btw, gruel had an idea how to speedup encoding by skipping
Trellis optim on chroma blocks, no one answered... i think
i'll give a try just to see if speed boost is worth it.

--
Edouard Gomez