[XviD-devel] [ANNOUNCE] XviD 1.0.1 available

Alexei Khlebnikov a.khlebnikau at sam-solutions.net
Tue Jun 8 10:58:43 CEST 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:57:46 +0200
Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr> wrote:

EG> > Look, Xiph's release tarballs contain debian/ dir, though their packages
EG> > are even in Woody. Lame's and MPlayer's tarballs contain debian/ as well.
EG>
EG> But none of them is part of debian.

Please read more carefully: "Xiph's release tarballs contain debian/ dir, though
their packages are even in Woody." <-- I mean here ogg vorbis packages.
As you see, they are a part of Debian.

EG> > Also, the way to Debian is obstacled with MPEG4 patents.
EG> > In the end, we have debian/ dir neither in original tarball, nor in Sid.
EG> > :((
EG>
EG> At this very moment, it's in the wait for manual adding to SID
EG> (the step following first upload, it has to be added/checked manually
EG> by some sort of FTP master guy).

You haven't said how are you going to counter MPEG4 patents.
Placing the package in non-US? Or how?

EG> Moreover you still have the choice to use my tla archive to retrieve
EG> the debian dir:
EG>
EG> $ apt-get install tla
EG> $ tla register-archive \
EG> http://ed.gomez.free.fr/arch-repositories/ed.gomez@free.fr--2004-1
EG> $ cd ${xvidcore}
EG> $ tla get xvidcore--debian-dir-devapi4--1.0 debian

Oh, that's good. But it's rather inconvinient. If I didn't fetch the debian dir when
the release is just out and there have been made some changes, I don't fetch
the correspondent debian dir. Could you please accompany each release with
diff file containing debian/ dir, which can be downloaded via HTTP/FTP? Or with
a separate tarball with debian/ dir?