[XviD-devel] MPEG-2 ?

Dirk Knop dknop at stud.uni-goettingen.de
Tue Jun 15 14:06:30 CEST 2004

Christoph Lampert schrieb:

>On the homepage's poll, someone asked for MPEG-2 encoding, and I must
>admit that I had played with that idea, too. Current MPEG-2 encoders are
>either very slow, or very bad, or very expensive.
>
>Does anyone here know enough about MPEG-2 syntax to tell me if current
>routines of XviD are compatible with MPEG-2? Of course not the
>bitstream-write itself, but ME, MC, mpeg-Quant, iDCT, interpolation etc. ?

Hi,

that is indeed an interesting idea.

FFMPEG/libavcodec already share those functions AFAIK - at least the
windows ports support mpeg2 en-/decoding as well. Nic also wrote a small
encoder (windows gui) for libavcodec called QuEnc which is very fast
compared to other mpeg2 encoders and produces quite good quality.

You might want to peak at ffmpeg's sources and get inspired there -
quality-wise i'd like xvid "mpeg2" to be superiour to those
libavcodec-wrappers if there will be such a support ;) Shouldn't be hard
to beat, 2pass algorithms in libavcodec (or those wrappers, don't know
exactly) currently seem to be inferiour to xvid's.

I hope this helps,

regards
Koepi