[XviD-devel] limitations of xvid

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Fri Jun 18 08:50:14 CEST 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Mangesh wrote:

> Hello,
>     What are the limitations of xvid encoder and decoder.
>     As Im not able to decoder the standard test streams like
>     karate.mp4, kangaroo.mp4 using xvid decoder.

In principle, XviD is a encoder/decoder of MPEG-4 v2 visual
Simple Profile and Advanced Simple Profile. There are a few features
not implemented, like ReverseVLC which were not of much interest to
XviD users so far.

However, if I found it right, the "karate.mp4" and "kangoroo.mp4"
files are MPEG-4 _audio_ only, so XviD surely cannot decode then,
since it's a video codec.