[XviD-devel] XviD not thread-safe anymore?

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Mon Jun 28 22:25:00 CEST 2004

Christoph Lampert (chl at math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:
> I had some problem in 2pass-mode when encoding two sessions of XviD
> in parallel (using Linux / transcode 0.6.13), e.g. wrong bitrates and
> quants in one of the files, and just a few minutes ago, a real ugly
> crash with "Illegal Machine Instruction".
>
> Is there a (known) threading problem in current CVS XviD? Or maybe in
> transcode? Did anyone else have problems lately?

Not that i know, there uses to be a known problem when MPEG
streams do end (MPEG code) w/o really ending (the end of file stream isn't
reached). Usually in this case, the encoding pipeline is
reset, resulting in a truncated 2pass log, often completly
corrupted as a close/create race could occur.

But this is not really xvid's fault, as it's caused by the
upper layer.

Can you post xvid4.cfg file, and the recipe to trigger the bug?

--
Edouard Gomez