[XviD-devel] RD stuff and more

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Tue Mar 23 12:57:39 CET 2004

Hi :)

Michael Militzer wrote:
 > Well, that's it basically. If you need more
> explanations, don't hesitate to ask...

Allrighty, I got it and (after a long struggle lol) confirmed that this
is exactly what the code does :)

The refinement is more aggresive at not checking diagonal positions than
I expected :) but it's probably really fast. I've finished my version of
it, I hope it will work - it combines halfpel and qpel refinement for
extra speed and doesn't require any extra checkcandidate code (or, even
worse, any new checkcandidates).

I wonder what is faster and gives better quality - full sad-based
refinement, or fast RD-based one :) If everything works, I'll have the
answer tommorow.

I think I'll also create a fast version of normal halfpel refinement -
should be useful :)

Regards,
Radek