[XviD-devel] VBV-RC and API

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun May 9 18:24:46 CEST 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Christoph Lampert wrote:

> Nope, it's still not fully working... I guess I'll have to run a few more
> tests.

Ah, I get it... the problem could be how overflow measured: As difference
between target bytes and actual bytes so far. That's okay to meet total
size, but fails to work for VBV. There, the problem is to not exceed a
maximal bitrate/framesizes too much during a much shorter time, i.e. until
buffer runs empty then.

So, currently, VBV is violated if e.g. total number of bits is too low so
far, then a difficult scene starts and still framesizes are scaled _up_
(to meet total size) instead of _down_ or not at all (to fit into VBV buffer).

I'll see if I can come up with anything.