[XviD-devel] Slow encoding - pondering the cause

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun May 23 16:08:00 CEST 2004

> xvid is great. I've just been testing it with mplayer software:
>
> mencoder dvd://2 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1500 -oac mp3lame
> -lameopts vbr=3 -o output.avi
>
> When encoding it says it is only 2fps.  I have 1Ghz Althon 368MB ram,
> nothing else significant running.  When I had win98se on this computer i
> used to get 9fps with divx3.11 (bitrate 900).  Is this just slower
> because the process is more complex?  (with bitrate 900 on xvid i get
> 3fps.)

Speed mainly depends on the specified options and DivX3.11 is again
something completely different. You cannot compare codecs just by speed at
default options, because every codec can be fast if you accept low
quality, and gets slower and slower the higher quality presets you use.

In principle, 1500 is also a little slower than 900, because there is more
data to be processed, but the real reason for speed differences are
which routines are used internally and which are not.

chl