[XviD-devel] License. GPL or restricted?

Andreas Metzler ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org
Sun May 23 18:46:00 CEST 2004

Hello,
Freshmeat.net says xvid is GPL, however ./src/image/reduced.c says:

 *  Under section 8 of the GNU General Public License, the copyright
 *  holders of XVID explicitly forbid distribution in the following
 *  countries:
 *
 *    - Japan
 *    - United States of America

Is this just a forgotten notice, or does it apply? I wonder, because
this notice is rather old (2002) and there are more recent
contributions by Pascal Massimino licensed under vanilla GPL without
the additional restriction.
             thanks, cu andreas
PS: This is the 2nd try to send this messages, my first one last
monday got dropped somewhere.
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"