[XviD-devel] Re: License. GPL or restricted?

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Sun May 23 20:38:06 CEST 2004

Andreas Metzler (ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org) wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry, my mail was poorly worded. I was not trying to imply that the
> license was not correct.

Well, this file may cause trouble because of this relic
license bit. The good thing is that its features are not used
in most cases, so if that causes troubles to you, you could
throw this file away.

> I am merely interested whether the distribution limitation in
> ./src/image/reduced.c is still valid. - If it is imho it might not be
> a terribly bad idea to make the clause more visible by mentioning it
> at least in xvidcore/README[1].

No it is not valid anymore. XviD 1.0.x will all be distributed
under the terms of the vanilla GNU GPLv2. I won't explain here
all the reasons, as these have been the cause of lengthy
threads among team members... but we decided to use GPL v2 for
xvid 1.0.

This header will be changed for future releases. Is that the
only one left ?

--
Edouard Gomez