[XviD-devel] ICM playback

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Wed May 26 06:21:34 CEST 2004

Hi everyone,

It seems that XviD's VfW is somehow not supported by windows's ICM
playback mechanism.
ICM is still commonly used to play video files when they are embedded
into other applications (ms word/OOo writer, powerpoint/impress etc).

Simple way to check is to run mplay32.exe and open xvid file - it
doesn't play.

I checked what happens exactly and it seems that mplay32 opens the
driver and then uses ICM_DRAW_BEGIN and ICM_DRAW to display the video.
XviD does not support these.

Huffyuv does not support these either, yet video plays correctly. I can
only guess that ICM uses "normal" ICM_DECOMPRESS_BEGIN and
ICM_DECOMPRESS for huffyuv - what I don't know is *why*.

Can someone with more knowladge help with this? Thanks...

Radek