[XviD-devel] XviD FAQ comment

J. Grant jg-lists at jguk.org
Thu May 27 01:33:14 CEST 2004

Hi,

[I would have sent to a webmaster email address but there was not one
(perhaps one could be added to the site..?).  I hope it is ok to post
this to the devel list]

The FAQ is great, I got some useful answers.  I noticed some things,
here are my notes:

"A different step in compression is to divide some coefficients by a
number to gives them smaller values"

Minor typo, should be "give".

Can I distribute your codec along with some of my own videos on CD-ROM?

XVID is under GPL license, which means you can distribute it freely,
e.g. on a CD-ROM or whatever form you like.
However, if you distribute XVID in binary form, you have to add the
source code to the CD-ROM, too.

Including the source code is not necessary, providing an offer of
source code (including web/ftp link, email address or postal address)
where to get the specific source code for this binary build is available
is compulsory.

Also including a copy of the GPL licence on the CD-ROM with the binary
files should be encouraged IMO, as it is compulsory under the GPL licence.

Kind regards

JG