[XviD-devel] XviD FAQ comment

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Thu May 27 09:32:57 CEST 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, J. Grant wrote:
> Can I distribute your codec along with some of my own videos on CD-ROM?
>
> XVID is under GPL license, which means you can distribute it freely,
> e.g. on a CD-ROM or whatever form you like.
> However, if you distribute XVID in binary form, you have to add the
> source code to the CD-ROM, too.
>
> Including the source code is not necessary, providing an offer of
> source code (including web/ftp link, email address or postal address)
> where to get the specific source code for this binary build is available
> is compulsory.

Strictly speaking you have to offer the source on a physical medium.
A download possibility (web/ftp/email) is not enough.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCDistributeWithSourceOnInternet

Since I guess nobody distributing XviD will really send out disks or CDs
with the sources by snail mail if asked for by thousands of users. So it's
a very good advice him to simply put it on the binary CD-ROM, and not
explain the unreasonable alternatives.

chl