[XviD-devel] input format

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Thu Nov 4 15:25:07 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Tom Jacobs wrote:

> i think this has changed in the newer version but when i do a 2pass encode,
> should i set -mv to 1 with all the normal parameters and then run it with
> the same parameters but with -mv set to 2? can i set -m to 0 in the first
> pass? is a hint file simple created in the currect folder and read back in
> on the 2nd pass?

What's this "-mv" ?

With the xvid_encraw I have, you use "-pass1 filename" to write a
firstpass logfile called "filename", and "-pass2 filename" to use it in
second pass. The filename must be the same, of course.
I don't remember how this was in the old versions, that was ages ago.

You don't have to create/safe output in first pass, that isn't reused.

> just one more quick question is there anyway of telling from my code
> what version it is? i know it isnt the newest but it was given to be
> already vectorised to i had to use it

Version of which? Of XviD? If it's not too old, there should be a
versioning in the beginning of xvid.h include, like

#define XVID_VERSION             XVID_MAKE_VERSION(1,1,-127)
#define XVID_API                 XVID_MAKE_API(4, 1)
#define XVID_BS_VERSION 36

in the version I have. When you call the library, it should also return
the version in  xvid_gbl_info_t  (also see xvid.h  for this). However,
if your library version is too old, you might have to search the ChangeLog
or other files to find a date/version.