[XviD-devel] segmentation fault

Henning Moll newsScott at gmx.de
Sun Oct 3 19:27:27 CEST 2004

Hi Christoph,

thanks for your reply!

On Sunday 03 October 2004 17:35, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> > I don't know much of CPUs and that stuff, but I thought of
> > something like a hardware random number generator. Is there
> > something like that?
>
> there is such a thing, but it's not used in XviD. XviD should behave
> exactly identical when run twice on the same hardware.

Do you know, whether this random generator is used by transcode or
mencoder? if not, i can exclude this from being the the source of the
problem..

> First thing I would suggest is to run a RAM checker overnight. Second
> thing is to run a CPU-intensive thing (e.g. "cpuburn-in" for a
> while), or possible both together. If both show no problems, we can
> search for a special defect in your CPU or so.

I allready used 'memtest' for a couple of hours without any error. I
will give 'cpuburn-in' a try. If that also does not show anything, i
will come back to this thread, ok?

BTW: Do you have any test programms, which test xvid without relying on
other software as transcode/mencoder? That would be great to sort them
out.

Thanks for your help so far!

Henning