[XviD-devel] segmentation fault

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Oct 3 19:54:37 CEST 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Henning Moll wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> thanks for your reply!
>
> On Sunday 03 October 2004 17:35, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> > > I don't know much of CPUs and that stuff, but I thought of
> > > something like a hardware random number generator. Is there
> > > something like that?
> >
> > there is such a thing, but it's not used in XviD. XviD should behave
> > exactly identical when run twice on the same hardware.
>
> Do you know, whether this random generator is used by transcode or
> mencoder? if not, i can exclude this from being the the source of the
> problem..

No, nobody uses it. And btw Athlon XP doesn't have one, but some VIA chips
do.

> BTW: Do you have any test programms, which test xvid without relying on
> other software as transcode/mencoder? That would be great to sort them
> out.

There's "xvid_bench" in the xvidcore/examples directory.
That calculates CRC for the most frequently used routines.
Except for some mpeg_quant routines (which is explained in output), none
of those should report a CRC error.