[XviD-devel] segmentation fault

Henning Moll newsScott at gmx.de
Sat Oct 16 19:59:08 CEST 2004

Hi!

some feedback:

On Sunday 03 October 2004 17:35, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> Definitely not. Nondeterministic errors are almost always due to
> hardware.
> [...]
> Other programs produce other access patterns RAM and
> instructions, you cannot be sure the problem would pop up somewhere
> else.

Hmm, it's realy hard to believe, that an error just occours on a single
programm ( in this case a single codec), but at last it seems that you
are right...

> First thing I would suggest is to run a RAM checker overnight. Second
> thing is to run a CPU-intensive thing (e.g. "cpuburn-in" for a
> while), or possible both together.

Ok, i did that in all possible combinations. Neither memtest nor
cpuburn-in reported any problem. But interesting: cpuburn-in is not
worth its name: xvid heated my CPU much more than cpuburn-in. In fact,
i can use cpuburn-in to cool it down (!) a bit while running the xvid
encoder. Maybe cpuburn-in is _that_ stress tool, but only for intel
cpus...? I recommend xvid instead. ;-)
Anyway, that little decrease of heat was not enough to avoid a segfault
during the encoding process. So i opened the computer case and did some
heavy external cooling by an ordinary ventilator. That way i was able
to achieve several encodings without a segfault. Ok, i think that's
proof enough to confirm a hardware failure.

Now i will start to find the causing component by replace one after each
other, starting with the cpu of course.

Anyway, many thanks to you for your advice.

Best regards
Henning