[XviD-devel] divx5bvop and XviD-1.x.x

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Sun Oct 24 23:22:21 CEST 2004

Quoting Christoph Lampert <chl at math.uni-bonn.de>:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > In the attempt to transcode a file with XviD that would be hopefully
> > playable with divx reader, I tried to use the option named "divx5bvop"
> > in MEncoder front-end, only to find out that this option existed in the
> > old API, but is no more in API-4 and up.
> > I want to update MPlayer doc mark that option as depreciated.
> > Could you guys maybe tell me if that DivX "compatibility" mode still
> > exists in come way or go completely removed? (For example 4mv doesn't
> > exist in 1.x.x alone but got merged in me_quality>4).
>
> XviD still supports "packed mode" for B-VOPs, which IIRC is the
> old DivX "compatiblity" mode. However, since DivXnetworks finally noticed
> what a bad idea it was to store B-VOPs that way, they changed
> their decoder themselves, so "packed mode" is now compatiblity for
> completely outdated DivX-decoders only, it should therefore not be used.

hu??? Afaik, the DivX compatibility mode simply forced B_VOPs to not
reference from future I_VOPs. Moreover, I don't know of any change in
recent DivX versions that would reflect DXN having realized that 'packed
mode' would be evil. Afaik, the DivX 5.2.1 encoder still produces
packed b-frame streams and the DivX decoder supports non-packed b-frame
decoding already since version 5.0.