[XviD-devel] divx5bvop and XviD-1.x.x

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Mon Oct 25 11:16:10 CEST 2004

Michael Militzer wrote:

> Moreover, I don't know of any change in
> recent DivX versions that would reflect DXN having realized that 'packed
> mode' would be evil. Afaik, the DivX 5.2.1 encoder still produces
> packed b-frame streams and the DivX decoder supports non-packed b-frame
> decoding already since version 5.0.

Actually, thats not that simple. DivX still produces packed streams but
only in "fixed b-frames" (or whatever it was called) setting. If you
tell it to use P/B decision (which sucks compared to ours pretty badly
;> ) DivX will not produce packed streams.

Also, their method of encoding and decoding packed streams is -
currently - much better than ours. They no longer create dummy N-VOPs on
encoding and they don't need userdata string for decoding.
XviD's packed bitstream handling is pretty poor, both or encoding and
decoding side :( The bottom line here is, it's different.

Radek