[XviD-devel] Altivec DCT Sample Code Found

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Thu Sep 2 16:35:05 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Christoph N?geli wrote:
> 2. I don't see a license for this file, do you think I can use that
> with a header like "copied from ..." or something like that?

Definitely not!
If there isn't a license on a piece of source, it's still protected by the
authors copyright. Since there even is a "(c) Copyright Motorola Inc.
1998" in one of the file, including this source into XviD (or any other
project) is a no-go.

What you can do, is search the Web for the original release, if there is a
(free?) license somewhere, contact the author (i.e. Motorola), asking to
release it under GPL, or write your own DCT based on the algorithm
described, but that's about it.