[XviD-devel] Fwd: is a bug?

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Fri Sep 3 04:14:54 CEST 2004

Hi Radek,

I think the (0,0) case the guy describes is just a special case and I
think his proposed patch is not correct (as I wrote him already in private
mail). I think his point is the following:

_If_ the prediction value is the zero vector and this vector is chosen as
the best predictor from our initial predictor set and therefore becomes the
center of the diamond in our regular search, it is possible that we're
performing the same diamond (around the (0,0) predictor value) again in
extsearch.

Now the correct fix for this (imho) would be to store the motion vector
that was used as center of the first diamond in our regular search and
then check in extsearch whether this former diamond center vector is
identical to our prediction vector. If yes, then skip the first diamond
search in extsearch. This check could/should replace the current check
against backupMV (if I'm not mistaken ;-))...

Michael