[XviD-devel] [FRONTEND UPDATE] mplayer modules.

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Fri Sep 3 14:26:31 CEST 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> I have one more questions if you don't mind:
> when compressing an intrelaced video (say, from a camcorder) is it still
> wise to activate the "interlacing" option when the video is rescaled? (I
> tend, from my experiments, to think that "interlacing" can't work well
> on rescaled content, but I'm maybe wrong).

Interlacing and rescaling (with "normal" algorithms) doesn't work
together, the result will look awful. Then it also won't help (or
hurt) to switch on interlacing mode. You would need a interlace-aware
resizer (which I don't know of to exist in mencoder).

If you really have to resize interlaced material, deinterlace it first,
and when encoding then, the interlacing flag should of course be off.