[XviD-devel] Changes to get_pmv2

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Sep 22 16:00:40 CEST 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Tom Jacobs wrote:

> thanks
>
> i think i got the prediction and MV bit now, and yes i see how the
> prediction need to be correct since they are recalculated in the decoder.
>
> so if i set it up so that the main searches are done in parallel with the
> wrong predictions i can then, in serial, add the wrong predictions to the
> differential MV and then subtract the correct prediction. would this work?

It should, yes. I guess, it would be cleanst to modify the search then,
such that it stores the vector itself (not the differential), and add a
little code that before (or while) writing the bitstream, calculates the
right predictors and subtracts them.
That's a perfectly reasonable way to do ME, and we only chose to directly
store the differential, because it saves a few CPU cycles by not having to
calculate the predictor again.

> thanskd for the other suggestions and i am not just ignoring them but i am
> trying to fine grain parall xvid, ive already done it with mpeg2.

That's interesting. What encoder, and what were your results?