[XviD-devel] Changes to get_pmv2

Andrew Voznytsa av at polynet.lviv.ua
Wed Sep 22 16:17:08 CEST 2004

Hi,

Christoph Lampert wrote:

>However, more important, the gain in speed isn't that big by doing only ME
>in parallel. I tried a while ago (when machine were much slower),
>splitting the image vertically in two halfs. But the overhead of creating
>the threads, doing ME and rejoining the results was bigger than expected.
>The speedup was less than 10% for 2 CPUs.
>
>gruel

I don't know how you did it exactly, but a few suggestions how to get at
least ~30-40% speedup for 2 CPUs:
1) create threads on encoder init stage
2) in I/P VOP case enable VideoPackets, create N (N <= number of cpus)
VideoPackets and encode each VideoPacket in his own thread. Under encode
I mean everything: ME, DCT, bit packing. On post encode stage you'll
have to join N bitstream buffers (not a problem, they'll be byte aligned).
3) in case if B VOPs are present too, try to encode each B VOP (without
VideoPackets) in his own thread (as Radek Chyz proposed).

Best regards,
Andrew Voznytsa